Foreign employees are subject to the same labour standards as domestic employees. The Canadian government wants to be sure that employers are not looking to foreign workers in order to circumvent the laws and regulations which protect the health, safety, salaries, and rights of Canadian workers.
As labour and immigration specialists we want to be sure you have all of the information you need to make sure your company remains on the right side of the law.
The primary objective of Canadian labour standards is to establish and protect the right of an employee to fair and equitable conditions of employment.
As Canada is a federation of different provinces and territories, the rules respecting labour standards vary from place to place and from activity to activity.
The Canada Labour Code applies exclusively to employees and employers involved in the following activities, no matter where these activities occur:
- Interprovincial and international services such as:
- Highway transport
- Telephone, telegraph, and cable systems
- Ferries, tunnels, and bridges
- Shipping and shipping services
- Radio and television broadcasting, including cablevision;
- Air transport, aircraft operations, and aerodromes;
- Undertakings for the protections and preservation of fisheries as a natural resources; and
- Undertakings declared by Parliament to be for the general advantage of Canada
If the work-related activity you are interested in is included in the above list, the labour standards set out in the Canada Labour Code apply to you.
If the work-related activity you are interested in is not included in the above list, then you must consult the rules on labour standards established by the province or territory where the activity will occur:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
Get your questions answered today.
At CIP we know that you want to do everything in your power to create a safe, fair, and legally compliant workplace where your employees (both foreign and domestic) may thrive. Let us answer your questions and evaluate your standards so that you do not jeopardize your ability to hire workers. Call us today.